Nimbu Mirchi(lemon chilli)

>> Friday, July 4, 2008

I don't know the significance of the "evil eye" in other cultures but whatever scant insights that I do possess about cultures leads me to believe that in the eastern world more importance in ascribed to this particular aspect of life.
Evil eye basically I think stems from the emotion of jealousy. It is this particular feeling that actually is not welcomed openly in these cultures but still there are so called ritualistic ways around it or to prohibit it. In india, many people find, nimbu mirchi, it is a lemon and about 7 chilis strung on a wire with a small piece of coal that is hung at shops, on vehicles and all places to avoid the evil eye .

At times people hang different things, like coconuts, some other vegetable entities, some sacred threads, beads, articles. Most commonly also the door hangings. These will be very decorative pieces, also present as a welcoming gesture and partly believed to distract the evil eye.
I am sure anyone from a different culture would find it pretty amusing.
Most common across the length and the breadth though is lemon and chilli. I am sure in India one can find hundred and one uses of lemon!!!

I wonder if I could use any of these things while I gorge down sundaes and shakes and deliciously rich, moist decadent cakes!!!

0 comments:

How many

  © Blogger template Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP